The Glenfield PTA held a town hall on January 12th. Below are note from the meeting.
I. Welcome & Opening Remarks – Sarah Spagnola Young, Co- President
Happy New Year! We understand that everyone has questions regarding the start of hybrid learning (scheduled to begin Feb. 8) but we do not have any answers at this time. We would like to schedule a townhall with Principal Pierce and Vice Principal Aboushi ASAP and will get the word out. The executive council is meeting with Ponds soon, so please include your questions in chat and we will collect and present them if possible.
II. PTA 2020-21 Budget Overview – Amira Williams, Treasurer
- Not a lot of activity due to remote instruction.
- PTA made an investment into Glenfield Garb, and sales are starting to show some revenues, more to come.
- Chipotle fundraiser was successful and easy, raised about $450. We are only allowed to do Chipotle once per year, but we hope to do more dinner night fundraisers with local restaurants.
- Amazon Smile, raised $91 so far which exceeds total from prior year – so that’s great! Need to get word out – such an easy fundraiser when everyone homebound.
- Usually we’d be having our bi-annual big fundraiser this year to support the budget but that’s not happening due to Covid-19. Need to come up with smaller, socially distant ways to raise the money (supports graduation celebration, teacher/staff luncheons, mini grants, student activities, etc.)
III. Fundraising Events/Ideas: Need Volunteers to Spearhead these Great Ideas!
- Family Trivia Night – Feb 5! Order your Popcornopolis!
- We will push for membership drive in next PTA memo
- Pennies for Pages
- Bricks for front walkway – inscribed
- Raffle – do we have the paperwork that allows it?
- Direct Appeal for 8th Grade Graduation, thermometer
- Need to start committee for Fall ‘21 Fundraiser – volunteer?
- Spring ‘20 Fundraiser/outdoor social – volunteer?
- Winetasting Zoom Night Parent Sommelier – volunteer?
- Flower arranging zoom parties – volunteer?
- YOU GOT SCHOOLED! (lawn fish) – Montse and Sarah Y volunteered
- Kimya suggested we include all these ideas in an email to class parent liaisons so we can send to house leaders to include in e-blasts.
III. Remote Learning Survey Results – Amy Uhlfelder
- Decent participation by parents, very few student responses. Results show clear improvement from spring’20, but mixed opinions about the frequency and value of break out sessions, synchronous vs. asynchronous lessons, etc. We asked parents to share lessons/practices they liked in order to share results with administration and support professional development.
- Complaints re attendance reporting are common but they are working on it (students being marked absent mistakenly, e.g.) Please communicate mistakes to office.
IV. 8th Graduation – Amy Uhlfelder
- We need to start thinking about how we can give our 8th graders a celebration. Typically held in high school auditorium, with party after at local area reception hall. What can we do to find an outdoor site, maybe combine effort with Ren and Buzz to book a place for the day to hold ceremonies? Need to think this through and present ideas.