A Note from the Principal’s Desk – 9.8.2020
Dear Hillside Parents/Caregivers:
I hope you had an enjoyable long weekend. Here are a few updates for your consideration.
Material Distribution – September 9th (CANCELLED):
In the wake of COVID-19 we are experiencing shipment delays on our consumable materials. We have not received all materials for distribution and will need to postpone material pick-up until next week. We will communicate a schedule for material pick-up as soon as the consumable materials are in hand.
First Day of School – September 10th:
You will receive specific log-in information from the classroom teachers. A Hillside First Day of School video will be shown (thank you, Erica Mitchell). The day’s agenda will include the following:
- Welcome students & families to an exciting new school year!
- Overview of Google Classroom
- Identify Expectations for Virtual Behavior (AUA)
- Procedures for Communicating with Teachers
- Small Group Meetings
- Practice Breakout Sessions
- Give an assignment to be submitted on the 11th
The district personnel database has not been updated with staff names. We are proud to welcome Alice Hermida to our staff. She is our new technology teacher. Ms. Hermida has taught a multiple of disciplines for many years, most recently at Northeast. We are working to ensure that Genesis reflects this adjustment.
4th & 5th Grade Aesthetic Classes:
- Thursday, 9/10 & Friday, 9/11: A-Day aesthetics for 4th & 5th graders; students will attend the google classroom for those courses
- Week of Monday, 9/14: B-day aesthetics for 4th & 5th graders
3rd Grade Aesthetic Rotation:
The 3rd grade rotation schedule for related arts is attached. This schedule is based on your child’s homeroom teacher as listed on Genesis. Please note the following:
- Your child will have 2 related arts courses a day- one during period 3 and one during period 7.
- Be sure to take note of the dates at the top of the chart. Homerooms will rotate to different courses each week.
- You will see that for some related arts courses, the homeroom will be split into two groups. This is indicated by Group 1 and Group 2 on the chart. Your child’s homeroom teacher will alert you as to which group your child is a part of.
- Each related arts teacher has a Google Classroom dedicated to your child’s homeroom and group.
- The schedule was created to reflect the weeks of the first cycle. The rotation will repeat after Week 7. Cycle 1 ends on December 11th.
- To help keep this organized, I recommend printing the chart, finding your child’s homeroom teacher, highlighting the row, and hanging it on a refrigerator or bulletin board.
- 3rd Grade Rotation for Parents 2020-21.pdf
Samanthaa Lennon Anglin, Ed.D.
Hillside Elementary School ~ Gifted and Talented Magnet
54 Orange Rd., Montclair, NJ
Phone: (973) 509-4200
Fax: (973) 509-1448
Follow us on Twitter: @Hillside_MPS