Hillside PTA Meeting Minutes
February 12, 2021
- Brian welcomed everyone
- Approved Hillside PTA January 2021 meeting minutes
- Mr. Adamo shared the news that Dr. Anglin’s father passed away and he will let those interested know where donations can be made. Dr. Anglin plans to be back to work the week of Feb. 15 and off again for services the week of Feb. 23.
- Concerns were raised at the Pandemic Response Team around finding ways for student social connections. Came up with the idea to create a list of possible interests and related activities in which students can choose to participate. Teachers will help us administer a survey to figure out what kids are interested in. Activities could be virtual or in-person outdoors. More details coming soon.
- BLM week of action was a great success. Witnessed a high level of maturity and participation from students. Teachers really embraced and ran with the lessons. It is so important that we are addressing BLM at all grade levels. We hope more districts take this work on.
- Cultural infusion activity for Lunar New Year includes a great presentation tomorrow, with a great video, and assembly on 2/26.
- All 4th and 5th graders will do virtual field trips to Yogi Berra Museum.
BOE / PTAC Update:
- Dr. Morgan gave a presentation for the Equity planning team which included the establishment of an Equity Action Team. PTA. EAROG will be a critical partner in implementing the plan. School-based Equity Comms will gather and provide input. NAACP will partner with us and look at areas like the SAIL program, disparities in discipline, and the Covid slide.
- There has been a lot of talk about MEA/district lawsuit. The latest news is that the district’s request for a preliminary injunction was denied; mediation continues.
- Planning on hosting a session on Feb. 25 at 7pm for a “District Level Budgeting 101” review.
- Trivia night is Feb. 20 at 5pm, emails will go out today
- Considering events for Bingo and book sales
- Looking at options for outdoor school photos
- Soliciting volunteers for nominating committee for next year’s executive PTA
- Virtual Talent Show will be on Feb. 19. Currently editing the talent show, trying to solicit businesses for fundraising, and making sure we are reaching all in our community.
- Idea was raised for an “open mic” for kids to showcase their talents
- Explorers: Program started last week and is going well so far. Classes are smaller and kids are enjoying them. There are 7 classes running (had to cancel 1 class). We do run into typical hiccups with kids getting into Zoom. We will consider a spring program, possibly outdoors.
- Social Justice Committee: BLM week of action went well. The Lunar Year is on 2/26. We have so many ideas and we are trying to organize those ideas into actions. Looking at an after school book club. We are getting assistance from Ms. Scott and Ms. Graham. It could be a free Explorers option. Looking for grade level appropriate books. Information discussed would be shared with parents to help support the conversations at home.
- Shared statement of financial position. Only real difference this month is that we have talent show income, Explorers revenue (minus expenses), and trivia night(s) income (~$500 each event).
- We helped fund Yogi Berra field trips and some cultural infusion work.
- Looking to collaborate with Nishuane on their Black History Month – 365 Days Pan African edition. Narrowing in all Africans globally with prizes and music offered; invitation for Hillside parents for Feb. 26, 6:30pm.
- Question about SAIL program – how are kids identified? Mr. Adamo shared that measures were set up by the Office of Equity instruction based on differentiation in the classroom and right now they are only doing ELA. ELA teachers were provided with training during PD days. Mr. Adamo will bring up the request to have broader communication at the district meeting. Right now it is not a rolling evaluation.
- Question about plans for summer school? Extended School Year will be in place specifically for classified special ed students with IEPs. Other programs will run out of 2 schools (Nish / Hillside) for any rising 1st to 6th graders needing additional support or interventions.
- Can we add the BOE meeting schedule to Hillside weekly emails? Yes!
- Brian Fleischer
- Jennifer Hand
- Thomas Adamo
- Allison Silverstein
- Ashley Emala
- Betty Shvetz
- Colleen Dougherty
- Dee Thompson
- Erin Walter
- Jacqueline Ahern
- Jennifer Di Lullo
- Jennifer Herman
- Laurie Levin Goodstine
- Shaviece Osborne
- Sheila Boyd
- Tinu Joseph
- Varsha Hathi
- Veronica Harris
- Yvette Frazier