This year’s theme is “I Will Change the World By…”
300K students participate each year in a celebration of their artistic expressions.
Students are grouped by age group and winners selected based on Interpretation, Creativity and Technique:
- Primary (Pre-K - Grade 2)
- Intermediate (Grades 3-5)
- Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- High School (Grades 9-12)
- Special Artist (All grades welcome)
This is the first time Montclair will participate in Reflections and we are starting small with three categories:
- Visual Arts
All students are welcome to participate and all entries are now extended and due on December 12, 2021.
Works of both fine and design arts are accepted, including but not limited to: architectural drawing and models, ceramics, collage, computer generated images and graphics, crafts, drawing, fashion clothes and jewelry, fiber work, mixed media, painting, printmaking and sculpture. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. 2D artworks must be mounted on sturdy material and no larger than 18”x 24,” including matting. Framed entries are not accepted. 3D artwork submissions must be no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” and must contain 3 digital images of artwork taken from 3 different angles. Image(s) are used for artwork identification, judging and exhibition purposes. Accepted file formats: JPEG, JPG, and PNG.
Photo must be a single print/digital image. Collages and collections of photos are not accepted. Entrant must be the photographer and may use a variety of digital editing techniques including but not limited to, multiple exposure, negative sandwich and photogram. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Print image dimensions must be no smaller than 5” x 7” and no larger than 11 “x 14”. Accepted print formats: Mounted on mat or poster board no larger than 11” x 14”. Framed prints are not accepted.
Digital image dimensions must be at least 640x960 (pixels) and 300 dpi (resolution). Accepted file formats: JPEG, JPG, and PNG.
Accepted forms of fiction and nonfiction include: Prose, poetry, reflective essay, screen play and play script, narrative, and short story. Entrants may write in their primary language as long as an interpretive English translation is also attached. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Writing must not exceed 1,000 words and may be handwritten or typed. Accepted formats: Single-sided print on 8 ½x11” paper, PDF file.
Students who identify as having a disability and may receive services under IDEA or ADA: Section 504 may enter in the Special Artist Division OR grade division most closely aligned to their functional abilities
Questions? Email Natasha Cummins at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click on the button below to submit an entry form for the competition.
Note: A form must be submitted for each category you wish to be judged in. (You will only be able to select a single category for each form you submit.)
Reflections Official Rules from National PTA
By submitting an artwork to the “National PTA Reflections Program,” entrants accept and agree to be bound by the official rules for participation as well as the entry requirements for their specific arts category and division. Additional State program requirements may apply. Any violation of these rules may, at PTA’s discretion, result in disqualification. All decisions of the reviewers regarding this program are final and binding in all respects.(The“PTA”referred to in these rules include all PTAs reviewing the submission).
1. ELIGIBILITY. Students must participate through a local PTA. Each student’s eligibility is determined by the state, council and local PTA. A student may develop an entry inside or outside of school.
2. ARTS CATEGORIES. In Montclair, there are three arts categories for 2021-22— literature, photography and visual arts. Students may enter in one or more Arts categories.
3. GRADE DIVISIONS. Students may enter in the appropriate division for their grade
Primary: Preschool-Grade 2;
Intermediate Grades 3-5;
SpecialArtist: All grades welcome
4. HOW TO ENTER. Entrants must submit their artwork and student entry form via form linked on the Montclair PTAC site. Contact Natasha Cummins at email@example.com with questions.
5. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS. (All participants must also follow arts category rules)
- Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the current year’s theme may be submitted.
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only. An adult may not alter the creative
integrity of a student’s work. Because the program is designed to encourage and recognize each student's individual creativity, help from an adult or collaboration with other students is not allowed except in the Special Artist Division. The work itself must be the creative product of one student only. Only one student may be recognized as the award recipient for each entry.
- Each entry must contain a title and all entries must include an artist statement. The artist statement communicates what inspired the work, how it relates to the theme, and the content of the work. The statement must include at least 10 words and not exceed 100 words.
- Use of copyrighted material is prohibited. Plagiarized entries will be disqualified. Use PowerPoint templates prohibited
6. FINALIST SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION. Entries are reviewed at local, regional, state and national levels. Entries will be reviewed primarily on how well the
Student uses their artistic vision portray the theme,their originality and creativity.
7. OWNERSHIP AND LICENSE. Ownership in any submission shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry iInto this program constitutes entrant's irrevocable permission and consent that PTA may display, copy,reproduce, enhance,print,sublicense,publish,distribute and create derivative works forPTA purposes. PTA is not responsible for lost or damaged entries. Submission of entry into the PTA Reflections program constitutes acceptance of all rules and conditions.