A Note from the Principal’s Desk – 9.24.2021
Dear Hillside Parents/Caregivers:
We hope your children have enjoyed their first few weeks of in-person learning. We look forward to seeing you at Hillside’s Virtual Back to School Night on Monday, September 27th at 7:00pm. Please read the information below before attending on Monday evening.
- Back to School Night will run from 7:00-9:00pm.
- Please make sure your Zoom account is updated and functioning.
- Please make sure you are familiar with your child’s teacher, you can view this information in Genesis.
- Please view the schedule below and refer to the “Back to School Night Staff Zoom Links”.
- Please note, the Related Arts Teachers, Child Study Team Members, Related Service Providers, School Nurse, and School Counselor have Zoom links listed below; they will be available from 7-9pm to answer your questions.
- The evening’s SCHEDULE & MEETING LINKS.
School-wide News…Be in the Know
There have been a number of requests for district information to be in writing. I’ve been informed that such information will be included in the Superintendent’s Community Message SY 21-22 No. 3.
Please make sure you are sending an extra mask to school with your child in their backpack.
In accordance with the National School Lunch Program’s Seamless Summer Option (SSO) ALL students can receive a free hot lunch daily. Students can purchase a second lunch at an additional cost. Refer to attached link for daily lunch offerings.
Please make sure your child is bringing a water bottle to school daily.
3rd Grade Aesthetic Rotation:
The 3rd grade rotation schedule for related arts is attached. This schedule is based on your child’s homeroom teacher as listed on Genesis. Please note the following:
- Your child will have 2 related arts courses a day- one during period 3 and one during period 7.
- Be sure to take note of the dates at the top of the chart. Homerooms will rotate to different courses every 3 days.
- You will see that for some related arts courses, the homeroom will be split into two groups. This is indicated by Group 1 and Group 2 on the chart. Your child’s homeroom teacher will alert you as to which group your child is a part of.
- The schedule was created to reflect the first few weeks of Cycle 1.
- To help keep this organized, I recommend printing the chart, finding your child’s homeroom teacher, highlighting the row, and hanging it on a refrigerator or bulletin board.
- Please view the rotation here: 3rd Grade Rotation for Parents 2021-22.pdf
Hillside Explorers – Fall 2021
Classes will begin Oct 4, 2021 and will go for 8 weeks. All classes will run from 3:50pm – 4:50pm.
Class descriptions, times, costs can be seen here.
Please register here.
- Registration opens Thursday, Sep 23 at 8:00PM
- Registration closes Thursday, Sep 30 at 8:00PM
SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION: Hillside is able to offer a limited number of scholarship spots in classes. Priority will be based on when requests are received. To request a scholarship, send an email to EXPLORERSHILLSIDE@gmail.com and include your name, email and phone number, your child’s name, grade, homeroom teacher, and list your top three choices for classes. Confirmations for approved classes will be sent by email. ***SCHOLARSHIP REQUESTS NEED TO BE SUBMITTED NO LATER THAN WED, SEP 29***
DONATION INFORMATION: PLEASE consider making a donation to our scholarship program so we can ensure that students who want to take an Explorers class are able to do so. Thank you!!!
Any questions? Contact us: EXPLORERSHILLSIDE@gmail.com
Bike, Walk to Hillside 2021
Get ready to lace up those sneakers, and gear up those bikes for National Walk/Bike to School Day on Wednesday, October 6th!
Two Meet-up Locations:
- Whole Foods back Parking Lot (located on Bell Street & Mountainview Ave)
- Porter Park (located on Orange Road & Harrison Ave)
We are departing at 8:30am for our group walk/ride to Hillside. Once at the school, all students including our bussers can join-in on the fun! Activities include Dance on the Lawn, led by Montclair’s own Beyond the Boogie Dance Company! Don’t forget to stop by and sign the “We biked/walked to school today” poster!
Full list of activities:
- Students and parents/caregivers will meet-up at 8:20am and walk/bike to school as a group with our Hillside Bike/Walk Team Captains & Montclair’s MFD & MPD
- Depart both meet-up locations, Whole Foods Back Lot and Porter Park @ 8:30 AM
- Bike & Walk Montclair (street safety advocates) will be in attendance to address our Hillside Community
- Take part in our ‘Dance on the Lawn’ session led by local dance company Beyond the Boogie
- Sign the “We biked/walked to school today poster”
- Refuel with light refreshments
Monthly SEPAC Parent/Caregiver Meeting
The first SEPAC meeting of the school year will be held this Monday, September 27th at 7:00 pm. The meeting is a Parent Support meeting and is open to our SEPAC members who are parents and caregivers. The Zoom meeting info is as follows:
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4206600639 Meeting ID: 420 660 0639
Additionally, please mark your calendars with the date of our upcoming General Meeting for all members. This meeting is set for October 7th at 7:00 pm. The Pupil Services Leadership Team – Dr. Goldblatt, Ms. Finnerty, Dr. Trim and Ms. Perez – will be introduced and will share information about some important special education initiatives.
Hillside SATp & Social Justice Committee
“Hispanic Latinx Heritage Fiesta – We are hosting an after-school DANCE PARTY to celebrate Hispanic Latinx Heritage Month!!! Friday, October 1, 2021 5:30pm -7:30pm Location: Hillside Front Lawn
Join Senora Scott and the Hillside Social Justice Committee for Latin Dance Lessons and Hispanic Cultural Trivia on the Hillside Elementary School Field. We have invited a professional dance instructor to teach us a number of Latin dance moves, and we will also have empanadas for sale, provided by a local restaurant!
The party is free and all are welcome! Feel free to invite a friend and let us know how many are coming so there’s enough food for everyone!”
Calling all Grant Writers
National PTA offers grant funding for local PTAs who are interested in implementing a National PTA program in the areas of STEM, literacy, digital citizenship, healthy minds and the arts. Grants are need based to provide extra support to PTAs in running their program or making their program accessible to all students. The deadline to submit applications for this round of grants is September 27, 2021 at 8pm. Please see the Hillside FB page for the application link.
Shoes for Scholarships
Turn your gently used sneakers & athletic shoes into scholarships for Montclair students! The Kiwanis Club of Montclair is collecting gently used athletic shoes & sneakers — NO tears or holes — NO metal cleats — NO street shoes, sandals, high heels, loafers, or dress shoes. ALL SIZES ACCEPTED! Please tie donated sneakers/athletic shoes together to keep as a pair. Please tie donated sneakers/athletic shoes together to keep as a pair.
Hillside please leave your gently used sneakers and shoes in the bin outside Door K
Message from Ms. Scott (School Counselor)
Just a heads up…Week of Respect is coming Oct. 4 -8! Here’s a preview of how we will celebrate so get your children’s gear ready!
- MONDAY (10/4) Respect our Diverse Community – Let’s celebrate diversity and throw kindness around like confetti!!! Wear as many different colors as you can!
- TUESDAY (10/5) Respect Others – Hurtful words can’t be taken back. Wear your clothes backwards!
- WEDNESDAY (10/6) Respect Yourself – Be comfortable with who you are! Wear your pajamas or cozy sweats!
- THURSDAY (10/7) Respect our “Hillside Family” Connection- Together Everyone Achieves More! Wear something from your favorite sports team (i.e. jersey, t-shirt, socks, etc.)
- FRIDAY (10/8) Respect our School- Show your school spirit! Wear your Hillside Gear or school colors!
As always, I am here to support our Hillside families in any way I can. In addition to email (firstname.lastname@example.org), I can be reached at 973.509.4200 x4297. Lastly, here is the In Need of Counseling Survey you can use to let me know if your child could use my help. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any concerns about your child’s social-emotional well-being.
Note from Nurse Boyle
Hello Hillside Families and Friends!
We have back to school night Monday 9/27/21 from 7pm-9:00pm. Here is my zoom link if you would like to visit me. https://mpsdnj.zoom.us/j/4750854365 Meeting ID: 475 085 4365 Passcode: boyle
I will admit one family at a time to respect the privacy of all my families. You can always reach me via phone or email with any questions or concerns. My phone number is 973-509-4200 ext.4192 and my email is email@example.com. Have a great weekend! Nurse Boyle
Monday, 9/27: Virtual Back to School Night (7-9pm)
Friday 10/1: Hispanic Heritage Month Event (5-7PM)