Fall Fest: We need a few volunteers to help with the silent auction acquisitions over these next few weeks! If you have some time to donate to help finalize our auction items, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrichment beings THIS WEEK! We have to two URGENT volunteer requests to help Enrichment run as smooth as possible:
2. Help transport children back home after enrichment by signing up here. Currently, rides on Mondays and Tuesdays are still needed. As you may know, busing is a critical component of our district, with students living all across Montclair. We have students who are participating in enrichment but need a ride home. A goal of ours is to ensure access to our programming for all children, regardless of whether or not a parent can come pick them up mid-day. If you can volunteer, you’d be covered by the PTA’s liability insurance. We ask that you sign up to share a ride for the full semester so we can have continuity for the children involved. We will be back in touch to confirm information.
- Harvest Day: There are still lots of volunteer spots left for Harvest Day on Thurs, Oct. 12th. Please sign up here to volunteer – we can’t do it without you!
- Fall Fest Volunteers Needed! Please contact Alice Pittman and Susan Firth at email@example.com to find out more! We especially help with:
- Auction Acquisitions
- Event planning
- Graphic design
We are still on the hunt for ONE more class parent for Ms. Mancini and Ms. Passamano. If you are looking for a way to stay involved and give back but don’t have the time commit to events, this could be your ticket as most of the responsibilities are communication based. What does it mean to be a Class Parent? As the parent leader for each classroom, your role is to support teachers, cultivate community across the classroom, and liaise with the PTA for all of the events and volunteering needs across the year. Class parents also organize teachers’ gifts given by the classroom and support the creation of fundraising baskets for our spring fundraiser, STEAM POP! If you are interested in becoming a class parent, please contact class parent coordinators Kathryn Pearson at firstname.lastname@example.org or Abby Rennert at email@example.com
Dear Edgemont Community:
We are delighted to kick off our Fall after-school enrichment session for our amazing Edgemont students. The Edgemont PTA offers a variety of after-school classes that spark curiosity, support healthy bodies, give our students an opportunity to enjoy new experiences, and build new friendships. Classes are offered from 2:50 – 3:50pm, Monday through Friday so children transition from the end of their school day directly to after-school classes. There are fees for these classes (to pay the external vendors and teachers who offer the classes), and scholarships are available. This session we are excited to present many NEW offerings, both indoors and outdoors!
We’re looking forward to a great season!
Jessica Cikanek, Susan Firth, Lesley Peller
The Enrichment Committee
Fall Enrichment begins Oct. 2nd and runs through Dec. 8th.
- Registration Platform: We are continuing to use the online platform Homeroom, which allows parents to sign up and track all enrichment classes in one place. Instructions on how to sign up for classes will be sent in a separate email. In the meantime, you can create an account and add your children’s information in advance at www.homeroom.com.
- Registration Process: On Tuesday, September 19th, at 9pm ET, Enrichment enrollment will open on Homeroom. Enrollment will end on Tuesday, September 26th.
1) Some classes fill up quickly. Please add yourself to the waitlist if the class fills up.
2) You do not need to check out students individually. You can add all of the classes to your cart at once and then check out. Classes are held in your cart for 25 minutes.
3) We cannot accommodate students after the registration period is over.
- Aftercare: If your child is in aftercare, the on-site supervisor will bring your child back to aftercare at the end of the Enrichment class.
- Scholarships: We are pleased to offer no cost tuition for students in each class.It is our goal that children can attend classes regardless of ability to pay. If you wish to seek financial assistance for your children to attend enrichment, please contact Principal Carr at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. Gunaydin, Edgemont’s Guidance Counselor, at email@example.com for support with your application. All scholarship applications are due Tuesday, September 19, 2023 by 9am
- Class Offerings: Starting Friday, Sept. 15 you’ll be able to view class descriptions on our Homeroom Enrichment page here. For a schedule of classes, click here.
How to Book Classes Once the Registration Period Opens
- Visit the Edgemont page here. If you log into your account directly from www.homeroom.com, you must search for Edgemont Montessori School in the top search bar.
- While viewing classes, you can filter by grade level or day of the week at the top.
- To learn more about a program, click on the course title which will provide you with more information on the course and the company leading it.
- When enrollment opens and you’re ready to book, click “Login to Purchase” (or “Add to Cart” if you are already logged in) If you don’t already have an account on Homeroom, click “New to Homeroom? Sign Up” to create an account.
- Once you’re done selecting classes, click your cart button in the upper right hand corner and click “View My Cart”.
- Proceed to checkout where you’ll add your student information for each class. Be sure to select an after class dismissal option for each course and student.
- After all student information has been added, you’ll finalize your purchase by adding in your credit card.
- Lastly, once all classes have been booked, you’ll be able to see them in your Homeroom account or add them to your Google calendar.
- A confirmation email will be sent immediately after purchase and as a reminder 48 hours before the first class starts.
- During enrollment, if you ever have any questions or need to support, feel free to use the chat box in the lower right hand corner on the Homeroom site.
Reminder! Tonight is our first General PTA Meeting at 6pm at the picnic tables behind the school. We will have light sandwiches and seltzers to enjoy while we talk about what the PTA has planned for the year, including a budget proposal. We hope you can join us!
We hope that all Edgemont families will join us for our third annual Hispanic Heritage celebration on Friday, September 22 at 6pm, where we will celebrate Hispanic culture and our Latine community. The event is free and made possible by the PTA. Activities will include dancing with a Latin dance teacher, a Restorative Justice crafts table with Ms. Olivi and an outdoor movie. You can bring your own food or you can purchase tacos and quesadillas from Taqueria Los Gueros. Please also bring blankets and chairs for the outdoor screening. The PTA is also looking for volunteers so sign up here: https://signup.com/go/bXOtvym
The Ice Cream Social for the 3-5th grade scheduled for this Friday at 3pm has been moved to *next* Thursday, Sept 14th at 3pm due to weather. Apologies for any inconvenience. We hope your students had a great first day at Edgemont!
We need volunteers to lead several events – no experience needed!! Even though Edgemont is the smallest school in MPS, our slate of events rivals the bigger schools but we have several still without a lead organizer. Without parent volunteers to both lead and staff them, these events listed below will not happen. If the thought of leading an event seems daunting, the PTA is here to support you and can provide most of the information you will need to succeed! There are templates of how each event has been structured in the past, vendors to contact (in some cases already secured), and sign up sheets available.
If you would like to sign up to lead an event, please contact Margot LaScala at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MLK Day of Service (January 15): Organize a school-wide event in January to acknowledge the work of Dr. King and to support children in their exploration of service and justice.
- Black History Month Celebration (February): In addition to teacher-lead learning initiatives, we are seeking parents volunteers to help us design in-school educational events to celebrate Black History month history and culture.
- Paraprofessionals Day (April 3): Plan a way to celebrate/thank our Edgemont paraprofessionals.
- Administrative Professionals Day (April 24): Plan a way to celebrate/thank Ms. Mascillino.
- AAPI Assembly (May): We are seeking parents volunteers to help us design an assembly or other in-school education to celebrate AAPI history and culture.
- Science Fair (May): Coordinating with teachers and students to work on experiments at home and share their findings at an afterschool celebration of science. Several teachers attend to learn about the experiments and students explain their work. Students will then give ongoing presentations during the school day to classes so they can practice public speaking and sharing what they learned.
- Teacher Appreciation Week (May): Coordinate volunteers to bring in treats to the teacher’s lounge each day, coordinate with PTA to sponsor a lunch and purchase some wish list items for teacher’s lounge, and encourage students to bring in flowers/cards, weekend “chalk the walk”.
Fall Enrichment: Our fall afterschool enrichment season is scheduled for October 2nd to December 8th. Stay tuned for more information about registration!