We need volunteers to lead several events – no experience needed!! Even though Edgemont is the smallest school in MPS, our slate of events rivals the bigger schools but we have several still without a lead organizer. Without parent volunteers to both lead and staff them, these events listed below will not happen. If the thought of leading an event seems daunting, the PTA is here to support you and can provide most of the information you will need to succeed! There are templates of how each event has been structured in the past, vendors to contact (in some cases already secured), and sign up sheets available.
If you would like to sign up to lead an event, please contact Margot LaScala at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MLK Day of Service (January 15): Organize a school-wide event in January to acknowledge the work of Dr. King and to support children in their exploration of service and justice.
- Black History Month Celebration (February): In addition to teacher-lead learning initiatives, we are seeking parents volunteers to help us design in-school educational events to celebrate Black History month history and culture.
- Paraprofessionals Day (April 3): Plan a way to celebrate/thank our Edgemont paraprofessionals.
- Administrative Professionals Day (April 24): Plan a way to celebrate/thank Ms. Mascillino.
- AAPI Assembly (May): We are seeking parents volunteers to help us design an assembly or other in-school education to celebrate AAPI history and culture.
- Science Fair (May): Coordinating with teachers and students to work on experiments at home and share their findings at an afterschool celebration of science. Several teachers attend to learn about the experiments and students explain their work. Students will then give ongoing presentations during the school day to classes so they can practice public speaking and sharing what they learned.
- Teacher Appreciation Week (May): Coordinate volunteers to bring in treats to the teacher’s lounge each day, coordinate with PTA to sponsor a lunch and purchase some wish list items for teacher’s lounge, and encourage students to bring in flowers/cards, weekend “chalk the walk”.