What is the PTA?
The PTA is a non- profit organization comprised of families/caregivers and members of the school staff/administration coming together to plan and participate in activities designed to enrich, entertain, celebrate and unite our school community. The Northeast PTA is also involved with the Montclair PTAC or PTA Council, a group which is composed of all the local PTAs in our school district. Together, the local PTAs and PTAC are also members of the New Jersey PTA (NJPTA).
2023-24 Mission Statement
To foster and nurture an environment where parents, caretakers, teachers and administration partner to engage our children and build tomorrow’s global citizens.
Who runs the Northeast PTA?
For the 2023-24 school year, our executive board includes:
Lauren Griffin - Co-President
Sabrina Brewer- Co-President
Elizabeth Freitag - VP Communications
Sarah Smith - Treasurer
Vinati Pachigar - Secretary
You can reach us at email@example.com
Nominations and voting for the following year’s board typically happens in June. Membership in the PTA is open to all caregivers, parents, and teachers. You can become a member here: https://northeastschoolpta.memberhub.com/store.
Created by Northeast PTA Board 2021-22 Sep 1, 2021 Edits, insights, alternate POVs are welcomed. Page 1
What does the PTA do?
The Northeast PTA provides funding and coordinates volunteers for programs designed to help our children learn outside of their normal curriculum. We host and run events to help families connect outside of school.
The programs we hope to run in 2023-24 include the following:
● First Day of School Parent Coffee: Reconnect with your parent friends after you drop off your child for the first day of school. Schmooze and hang out on us. Also a good time to sign up for volunteer opportunities with the PTA.
● Welcome Activities for Kindergarteners and Incoming New Students (August/Sept): New student ice cream social and kindergarten playdates are scheduled before the school year begins.
● Film on the Field:A Northeast tradition: An outdoor movie on the northeast field, typically held in the fall. Families bring blankets and snacks and cozy up in the dark and enjoy the movie.
● Fall Heritage Festival: A celebration of the fall, our community, and our global heritage.
● School Dance: Usually held in the spring, the whole family is invited. Just like you remember it (but with music from today).
● MLK Day of Service (MLK Day): The whole family is welcomed to participate in a day of service on MLK Day in January.
● After School Enrichment (ASE): Fun after school activities. This is a paid-for activity.
● In-School Assemblies and Travel Support for Field Trips: The Northeast PTA currently funds all in-school assemblies, and offers funding for transportation for field trips.
THANKS YOUS / GIFTS
● Teacher Appreciation Activities: Teacher welcome back coffee, teacher
appreciation week, teacher luncheon, classroom gifts and more.
● Birthday Books: Each Northeast child can select a book from a list at
Watchung books. Happy birthday from the Northeast PTA
● The Northeast Geography Bee: Other schools have spelling
bees, but at the Global School we have a geography bee. Children form teams
● Northeast Talent Show: Held in the spring, there is room for
every child, any talent, often with a special showcase from the Fifth Grade Class.
● Soccerthon: In the spring, we meet at a local soccer bubble
and everyone competes, World Cup style.
● Northeast Spiritwear (Year Round): Sweatshirts, t-shirts, they’re all for sale
as part of a Northeast fundraiser. Show your Northeast pride and purchase spirit wear here: Purchase Northeast Spirit Wear
● Northeast Gala / Count Me In: This is our major fundraising event which we hope everyone contributes to!
● Book Fair and Pancake Breakfast: The Book Fair is a week-
long event held in our library, typically in the fall, and ends with a family pancake breakfast
Other than events, what are some ways the PTA has supported the school?
In addition to funding events and activities, the PTA has also been responsible for capital improvements such as the air conditioning in the school, the 5th grade lockers, the awnings and tents outside, as well as the picnic tables and benches. Past PTA presidents even painted the 4-square court on the blacktop! The PTA also purchases supplies and admissions for students in financial need on a confidential basis.
PTA 101: MEMBERSHIP AND VOLUNTEERING
How do I sign up to volunteer?
You can become a PTA volunteer by reaching out to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by reaching out to any member of the board or Committee Chairs directly. Let us know your skills, talents and interest and we will do our best to find something that you will enjoy doing! Volunteering is good for your head, your heart, and your community.
What does it mean to be a Class Parent?
A class parent is the parent leader for each classroom. You are the heart of the class, creating class events inside and out of school (Valentine’s Day craft projects, playdates, etc). Class parents cultivate community inside the classroom, organizing activities with the garden committee, working to support the teachers. They organize teachers' gifts given by the classroom, and help recruit volunteers for PTA events. We try to have two class parents per class. Class parents meet monthly with PTA board members and one another to facilitate communication in the school.
What are PTA committees? What does it mean to be a Committee Chair?
Committee chairs take a leadership role running various events. There is a lot to get done throughout the school year, and the committee chair takes responsibility for leading and executing and initiative.
How can I volunteer for a committee or become a Committee Chair?
We need volunteers for every committee and every event.
All chairs are looking for volunteers for their committees and the best way to eventually become a chair is to start by volunteering. Reach out to us at email@example.com and let us know which event committees are of interest to you.
Why become a member of the Northeast PTA?
When you become a member, you are choosing to play an active role in the Northeast school community. You are role modeling volunteerism for your children, building the community you want to be a part of, the one you’ll be shedding tears with at high school graduation and beyond.
Your membership fee ($15 for caregivers and parents, $5 to faculty and staff) goes toward funding free events for parents, staff and children. This gives you the right to vote in our elections, and shows that you are invested in participating in the PTA.
How do I become a member of the Northeast PTA?
Memberships are yearly and need to be updated for each school year.
You can purchase an individual membership here: Individual PTA Membership
You can purchase a staff/faculty membership here: Faculty/Staff PTA Membership